Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Violet Purple Memories

I'm getting ready for my very first craft show (as a vendor)!   Nervous, yes.  Excited, yes.  It's just a small one at the local rec center and I go with a friend to register tomorrow.  In the spirit of getting ready, I've been making tutus to build an inventory.  There are so many questions to work through: how much inventory do I need?  Special prices or bundles?  How will I display everything - tables, hangers, headband & hair clip holders?  How much change should I have on hand?  Do I need credit card capabilities?  Should I accept checks?

Purple, lavender & white tutu with purple poppy headband.
Photographed Baby Girl in the newest tutu this morning.  Everytime I sat her up on the bed to get a nice sitting picture, she would flop backwards and throw her feet up.  So we moved it outside for a little bit.  Then she was interested in everything but the camera.  I love how the sun caught the crystal in the center of the flower on this one.

Purple, lavender & white tutu with purple poppy headband.
I decided to start with some purple tutus, since that has been the color request lately.  Will probably be sending this one out to our friends, Steph & Mike whose baby girl is due next month.  A great color to cut into all the pink stuff!

Was looking at this one last night and trying to decide what it reminds me of. The royal purple and lavender brings a flood of memories. The first thing that came to mind was my grandma's pansies. Alongside and in front of her tiny, "cracker box" house she grew little white lillies (the name is escaping me right now) and pansies. She would always pluck a pansie and pull off the petals reciting a rhyme about a little lady washing her feet. Truthfully, I think the little lady in the middle of the pansie looks more like a tiny lady in a white ball gown.

Baby Girl is looking for Daddy and Big Brother (who have left for school & work already), repeating "Eee dat daddy? Eee dat daddy?"   (Purple, lavender & white tutu with periwinkle polka-dot ruffle baby leg warmers.)
The next thing I thought of when contemplating this tutu was an old boyfriend's mom who used to grow tons of African Violets of various shades.  Noticed while I was home last weekend that my mother-in-law is also growing some on the window sill abover her kitchen sink.  I used to love checking out all of her velvety violets in all the different shades of violet, lavender, and white.
Purple, lavender & white tutu with marigold hair clip.
Lilacs.  Even though my grandma was allergic to them, I always associate them with her.  Thank you, Jenny for saying these are lilac colors!  And, of course, I've been admiring all the lavender stalks in bloom around town this summer....and if you happen to be lucky enough to be up in the high country of the Rocky Mountains, find yourself a Columbine flower. My husband's favorite purple association is the Colorado Rockies! Sure my son would agree. :D

Purple, lavender & white tutu with periwinkle polka-dot ruffle baby leg warmers and purple poppy headband.

No comments:

Post a Comment