Friday, August 26, 2011

'शयपत्री' The Hundred Leaf Flower (aka. Marigold)



Marigold hair clip
Naturally golden in color, marigolds can be found all over the world in different varieties. I remember my mom always harvesting the flower heads for seeds the next season. She has advised me to grow them in my garden to keep the insects away from my veggies. Though I didn't have much problem with insects this year, I'll have to remember this next year. We were just so busy with getting the boxes together and mulch down, that I forgot to plant a row or two. (Never got around to planting my dill either, until I just bought a small pot from Sunflower Market this week. Lets hope it grows in enough to survive before the frost comes.)

Marigolds are used as a culinary herb to make an anise-flavored tea and as a substitute for tarragon. The marigold used in the Ukraine is said to have a flavor that's a mixture of basil, tarragon, mint, and citrus. Maybe I'll get creative next year and try it with our zucchini blossoms - something else we haven't tried yet.


Marigold hair clip
Attached to a partially lined alligator clip (full size clip) this marigold can be used as a barette or to adorn ponytails, braids, tutus....just about anything you can clip to. It is smaller than most of my flower clips, with a diameter of approximately 2.5 inches. A wonderful summer-autumn flower for those of us embracing the fall.

Don't forget to enter my TUTU & FLOWER GIVEAWAY by commenting what color tutu you would love to have! (If you're having trouble commenting on Blogspot - which I know has happened - you can also comment on the Ellie Grace Facebook Page.)

No comments:

Post a Comment