Monday, August 22, 2011

Hubby-proof Chrysanthemums

Hubby has nearly finished our new deck (just need to stain & seal it still and I hear that's the not-so-fun part). One of these days we will have time, hands, and a dry day to get it done. I was so excited when he was finishing the planter boxes (instead of a railing on the low side) that I went out and bought some yellow and red mums. Well, back to the staining & sealing bit.... Guess my shopping was a little too early and they've been sitting in their pots in the garden until I can plant them in their boxes. Long story short, left Hubby home for a week while I took the kids to see grandparents.... and now I don't have to worry about planting the mums. It will be Hubby's job once he has the planters ready and buys some new ones.


An autumn flower, mums have many meanings and uses. Some people say that the Chrysanthemum symbolizes honesty and they are a traditional gift for Mother's Day in Australia. In Japan a Chrysanthemum sweet tea is made and used for many uses, including the flu. Other medicinal uses that have been found include being antibacterial and possibly an anti-HIV drug. On a gardening related note, pulverized flowers are used as insecticides. Will have to look into if it's safe to use in vegetable gardens - the earwigs haven't been too bad this year, but they still creep me out.

Golden yellow and orange mum hair clips, 4" in diameter. Are you ready for fall?




No comments:

Post a Comment