Friday, August 12, 2011

On the Sunny Side of Helianthus Annuus (the Sunflower).


I planted sunflowers for the first time this year, a dozen of them made it from seedlings inside to transplanting outside in a corner of the yard. Now I have 3 sad looking sunflowers. In Colorado lavender and sunflower seem to be the easy-to-grow outdoor plants, much like the hosta is to Minnesota. Maybe next year I should just throw some seed out and cross my fingers - may have better luck.

So the home-roasted sunflower seeds won't be happening this year, but there are sunflowers for your hair! My MIL brought some of her NIP Home Interiors sunflowers for me to use in my creations - part of her major decluttering project. (Am going home to visit next week and can't wait to see the progress she's made on her house!) These SUNFLOWER HAIR CLIPS measure approximately 4" in diameter and will surely brighten your day. I've sewn all the petal layers together and replaced the fuzzy (and somewhat messy) brown center with a big crystal rhinestone. The entire sunflower is attached to a partially lines alligator clip. Just let me know if you'd like it on a headband instead. I'm thinking I'll make Baby Girl one on a chocolate brown headband.


On our roadtrip to North Dakota this summer, I enjoyed fields and fields of sunflowers. It's always good to be on the sunny side of a sunflower field, with all their golden heads turned up in sun worship. Did you know that it's native to North America, but was first commercialized in Russia? Researchers believe that Native Americans were growing sunflowers back in 3000 B.C. Today it's cultivated for sunflower oil (a healthy cooking oil) and the seeds. Other uses include a purple dye, decoration, and treating snakebites.

No comments:

Post a Comment